Lemons are a versatile fruit that can be used for many things beyond just cooking and adding flavor to dishes. One unconventional use for lemons is to place them in the oven to help solve many household problems. Here’s how it works:
- Deodorize your oven: If your oven has a lingering odor from burnt food or spills, placing lemon slices in a baking dish and heating them in the oven can help eliminate the smell. Preheat the oven to 250°F and bake the lemon slices for 30-60 minutes. Once done, turn off the oven and let it cool. You can also add a few drops of lemon essential oil to the lemon slices for an extra boost.
Other ways to use lemons for cleaning:
- Clean your oven: Lemon juice is a natural cleaner and can help remove grime and grease from your oven. Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice onto the dirty areas. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then scrub with a sponge or scrubber. Rinse with water and wipe dry.
- Freshen up your garbage disposal: Place a few lemon slices in your garbage disposal and turn it on to help eliminate odors. You can also add a few drops of lemon essential oil for added freshness.
- Remove stains from cutting boards: If your cutting board has stains or odors, rubbing half a lemon over the surface can help remove them. Let the lemon juice sit for a few minutes before rinsing with water.
- Polish metal surfaces: Lemon juice can also be used to polish metal surfaces like copper and brass. Cut a lemon in half and dip it in salt, then rub it over the surface. Rinse with water and buff with a cloth.