Indulge in the delightful fusion of bananas and chocolate with this Upside-Down Banana Chocolate Cake recipe. By layering slices of ripe bananas at the bottom of the pan and pouring the chocolate cake batter over them, you’ll create a stunning upside-down cake that’s as visually appealing as it is delicious. Perfect for dessert enthusiasts and chocolate lovers alike, this recipe offers a unique twist on a classic treat.
For the Banana Layer:
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For Garnish (Optional):
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Fresh banana slices
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a round cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Prepare Banana Layer: In a small saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the mixture is smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Pour this mixture into the bottom of the greased cake pan.
- Layer Banana Slices: Arrange the sliced bananas over the butter and brown sugar mixture in the cake pan. Create an even layer of banana slices.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth and well blended.
- Alternate Additions: Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture and buttermilk to the wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry mixture. Mix just until everything is combined and no large lumps remain.
- Pour Over Bananas: Carefully pour the chocolate cake batter over the arranged banana slices in the cake pan, ensuring that the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake: Place the cake pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool and Invert: Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. To invert the cake, place a serving plate or platter over the pan, then carefully flip the cake onto the plate. The banana layer will now be on top.
- Garnish (Optional): Once the cake has cooled completely, you can garnish it with a dollop of whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and additional fresh banana slices.
- Slice and Serve: Slice the Upside-Down Banana Chocolate Cake and serve it to your eager guests. The combination of soft banana slices and rich chocolate cake is a delectable treat for any occasion.
Indulge in the enchanting blend of flavors and textures in this Upside-Down Banana Chocolate Cake. The caramelized banana layer adds a delightful sweetness to the rich chocolate cake, creating a dessert that’s both visually stunning and incredibly satisfying. Whether enjoyed as a dessert centerpiece or a delightful treat, this cake is sure to become a favorite in your repertoire.
Please note that baking times may vary based on your oven and altitude. It’s advisable to perform the toothpick test to ensure the cake is fully baked.