When it comes to enjoying the outdoors on your balcony, dealing with pesky insects like flies and mosquitoes can be a real buzzkill. But instead of reaching for chemical sprays and repellents, why not try using natural, beautiful scented plants to keep the bugs at bay? Here are five of the best options:
- Lavender: Not only does lavender look and smell beautiful, but its fragrance is also known to repel flies and mosquitoes. Plant it in a sunny spot on your balcony and enjoy its calming scent all summer long.
- Citronella: Perhaps the most well-known natural insect repellent, citronella has a strong lemony scent that mosquitoes can’t stand. You can find citronella plants at many garden centers, or you can plant citronella-scented geraniums, which have a similar effect.
- Lemon balm: Another plant with a lemony scent, lemon balm is a member of the mint family and is said to repel both flies and mosquitoes. It’s also a great herb to use in cooking and making tea.
- Rosemary: This fragrant herb is a great addition to any balcony garden, and its scent is known to keep flies away. It’s also a hardy plant that can withstand hot, dry conditions, making it perfect for balconies that get a lot of sun.
- Marigolds: These sunny, yellow flowers not only look beautiful, but they also have a strong scent that repels flies and mosquitoes. Plus, they’re easy to grow from seed and can add a pop of color to any balcony garden.
By incorporating these beautiful scented plants into your balcony garden, you can enjoy the outdoors without having to deal with pesky insects. Plus, you’ll have the added benefit of beautiful, natural fragrances to enjoy all summer long.